Thursday, October 23, 2014

Review - Gathering Grounds

The Gathering Grounds Coffee House

There’s no doubt that coffee is a necessity in the life of college students. Finding a coffee shop that looks and feels like home can be hard to find, but people in and around Menomonie, Wisc., are in luck. Nestled right outside of UW-Stout’s campus in a little white cottage is the Gathering Grounds Coffee House

Owned by husband and wife, JJ and Michelle, this coffee house was created in the same space as The Painted Picket. The Painted Picket is Michelle and a few friends’ business for up-cycling furniture and selling novelty items like scarves and art.




The Coffee
Gathering Grounds serves Douwe Egberts coffee and a variety of hot, iced, or blended espresso drinks. The coffee menu contains many typical coffee house drinks, such as lattes, macchiatos, and regular coffee. They also serve creative, from-scratch seasonal drinks. Some examples are their summertime drink – iced coconut/almond milk over espresso – and their gingerbread and pumpkin pie lattes for fall.


The prices of the drinks are a bit lower than the average chain coffee house. I ordered a blended iced Gingerbread latte. The owner, JJ, explained that all of the ingredients are made from scratch with no artificial flavors or sweeteners. I was also very pleased that this place serves almond/coconut milk as a non-dairy option. My favorite drink I have ordered there is a dirty chai tea latte - their homemade chai tea blend with steamed almond/coconut milk and a shot of espresso. Pictured below is a blended pumpkin spice latte.


I have been impressed with the quality of the drinks at this coffee house every time I have visited. The espresso is always freshly ground for your drink, and JJ usually chats with you about making your drink while he creates it, so you know what is going into it. I have never felt the need to add extra cream or sugar into any drink - they came to me ready to drink and delicious just as they were made. I have never had to wait in line and have always gotten my drink quickly. Cash is a little easier and quicker if you're in a hurry. Credit/debit cards have to be manually scanned through an iPhone attachment instead of a professional machine, but it doesn't take too long.


In addition to the coffee menu, this place also sells baked goods. Fresh raspberry scones and chocolate mint brownies are a few examples. On Wednesdays, they have fresh muffins imported from a local bakery. They also have packaged all-natural energy bars for those who need a gluten free food option.

The Service
From the moment I walked in the door to the moment I left, the service was excellent. I was greeted with a warm welcome and a handshake from JJ. He was able to answer all of my questions about the menu and different ways I could have my drink made. He was extremely enthusiastic and happy to help. 


The Gathering Grounds has punch cards for the customers – offering a free 10th drink after 9 punches. They keep the punch cards in a little file box by the cash register for the customers to find their card each time they visit. Customers get two punches on the card for their first visit.

My only complaint was being charged two different prices for the same drink on separate visits to the coffee house. I was not sure if they are raising their prices or just mischarged me, but I was a little disappointed that my drink had nearly doubled in cost my next visit.

Another small inconvenience is that they are not always open. In the fall and winter, Gathering Grounds is open from 7am-3pm Tuesdays through Fridays, and 9am-3pm on Saturdays.



The Atmosphere
The atmosphere of this place is every coffee house lover’s dream. Having the shop be set up in a cottage gives it the perfect amount of privacy and openness.



There is a large open area where the coffee bar is, and a large seating room. There are two more private rooms off of the main areas, which allow a quieter atmosphere for customers who want that. The rooms all have bright, unique furniture and artwork in them, giving the place a homey feel.

Nearly everything in the store is for sale via The Painted Picket, so customers can leave their visit with something more tangible than just coffee in their bellies.




The Conclusion
I was very impressed with my experience at The Gathering Grounds. I used to frequent the chain coffee shops pretty often, but recently stopped because I was not impressed by their extremely expensive, sugar and syrup filled drinks. They also do not have the same homey atmosphere that a small coffee shop has, which is important to me.

The Gathering Grounds fulfilled just about all my wishes for the perfect coffee shop – from the location, to the drink menu, to the service and the atmosphere, I would certainly recommended stopping by next time you’re cruising near Menomonie and are looking for a place that feels like home – and tastes like it, too. 



For more information about The Gathering Ground's Coffee House, visit their Facebook page

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I listened to your Tegrity and took your advice on changes. I made sure the text was all the same style, made bigger headings so they would stand out more, added more pictures, included the store's hours in the review instead of referring readers to the Facebook page, and broke up my paragraphs so they weren't as long.

    ReplyDelete