Monday, October 6, 2014

Macbook Pro Mid-2012, 13-inch Review


Choosing a computer can definitely be a huge decision for people, and for most people they have no idea where to start with all of the other brands and different styles of computers. There have been so many different versions of the Mackbook Pro. Each time there is a new version out there might only be small, internal updates that don’t change much, or there might be large, internal, and external updates that drastically change the computer. 

  
With all of these updates happening so frequently, people are always wondering if they need to upgrade to the next generation. Because most of the time each update is nothing crazy, it doesn’t seem necessary to upgrade. It would be outrageously expensive to do this as well. If you wait until you actually do need to upgrade, by then, you will actually notice a difference in your new product.

I am going to talk about what the Macbook Pro Mid-2012, 13-inch has to offer to try to help you make a decision to chose this computer or not.


Pros

Cons
Performance
Expensive price
Storage
Upgrades have more storage
Design
Glossy screen









Performance

Clearly, with the Mid-2012 version being the oldest version to get, and the lowest numbers it is not going to perform (I say lightly) as well as the other versions. However, based on the experience I have not had any problem with its everyday performance. This everyday performance can include Adobe program use as well. 

The battery power is at 7 hours for this Macbook Pro version. With all of the other versions the most battery life a computer will get is 9 hours, making the difference not very drastic.

With the software updates, the track pad updates as well. You are able to change the different clicks and finger movements in the settings to fit your comfort style.

   Experience

I believe the main discussion with the performance of a Mac is between a Mac and a PC (Personal Computer).  From previously being a PC user, I can compare the two. When I first switched to a Mac, I was unsure of it, but I realized I was just unsure because it was something new. It did not take long at all to not only get used to the Mac, but to also love the Mac. My experience went from average, to simple and fun. I am never confused as to what to do for what I need. 

The performance of the track pad is 10x better than any PC track pad I have used. I enjoy the freedom to scroll and all of the finger swipes that makes navigating much easier. 

Another amazing performance aspect I love is the speed. Pages, images, videos, pretty much anything open very fast, and I never have to worry about my computer freezing or crashing from a virus. 

I have talked with many people about whether or not they prefer a Mac or a PC, and I have not come along anyone who is gungho for a PC, and would rather have a PC than a Mac.

Configurations

This Macbook Pro Mid-2012 has a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5. If you are unsure what the term “GHz” means, it stands for Gigahertz, and it is a unit of frequency. It has 4 GB 16000 MHz DDR3. “GB” or gigabyte is a measurable unit, so the amount of space it has to offer. “MHz” or megahertz is also a unit of frequency. Lastly, DDR3 stands for double data rate type three synchronous dynamic random access memory. The display of the computer is a built-in color LCD (liquid crystal display) display that offers Intel HD (High Definition) graphics 4000 512 MB graphics.

   Comparison

The price of this computer is $1,099.00. This is the cheapest of the Macbook Pros that are still available new. The next step up is $200.00 more to get 2.6 GHz and 8 GB 16000MHz of memory, retina display and a longer battery life. Of course this is the lowest grade of all the computers they have out currently, but the differences from the newer and more expensive computers is not that large.

   Experience

With experience from everyday use, I have not run into storage or speed problems. I do not have a lot of music, pictures, or videos. I have a decent amount of applications, but it has not slowed down my computer, and I still have a good amount of space left.

Design

The design of the Macbook Pro continues it’s sleek design just like the rest of the Apple products. It has silver plates with a simple, black keyboard that has changeable back lighting, and a black glass framing around the screen that has a very small, hidden camera at the top. The touch pad track blends in with silver metal plates creating a very minimal look.

  • Height: 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
  • Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
  • Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
  • Weight: 4.5 pounds (2.06 kg)2

All of the outlets on each of the sides are the same as the other Macbook Pro versions are all the same, so if you are upgrading you will not have to worry about any of this changing or losing any ports.


   Experience
 
I thoroughly enjoy the design of this Macbook, and it is really the only computer style I like. The bright color of the silver plating is not tiring or depressing like most black computers. The color of the plates also contrast with the black keyboard, making it very easy to type.

The keyboard is probably my favorite part of the design. I have typed on many different keyboards, and this keyboard is by far the easiest. I seem to have less slipping of fingers to other keys, and the pressure that needs to be pushed is right in the middle where it needs to be. I don't accidentally push a key, nor do I struggle to push the keys.

The curved edges and simple, minimalist design make the interactive experience very relaxed and inviting. Within this, however, I do not like the glossy screen. It can be great for clarity, and really making images, videos and text crisp and clear, but if there is any sort of sun shining on the screen it makes it, at some points, impossible to see.

Last, the weight and size of the computer are ideal. The computer is not too large or heavy to carry. It feels as if I am carrying another notebook or a light book. Lugging around a heavy computer builds a grudge with the computer, but I find myself always wanting to be on my Macbook.

Conclusion

I believe that the Macbook Pro Mid-2012, 13 inch is all around a great computer.  Compared to the other versions of the Macbook Pro there are only slight differences, and personally not enough to pay over $200 for the upgrades. However, if I were someone who stored a lot of pictures, videos, and music, the extra storage and memory would be useful. I do work with the Adobe software, but not in an everyday use where my work or school work relies on it. If I used these more I would rather have a computer with retina display. In the end, I would say this is a very good product, and there is no need for an upgrade if you are satisfied with your current Macbook Pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment