Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Acoustic Review First Draft





Finding “good eats” in a small town like Menomonie is not always easy. Of course there is a variety of places to eat around campus, but from my experience the food is not always up to par. Fortunately I came across Acoustic Café, after visiting I knew I had found my new “getaway” spot.

It was an unusually warm day in September and the Air Conditioning in my home is nonexistent so I ventured out to Acoustic Café. Upon walking in I found it larger than expected, there is plenty of seating including both booths and tables. It was quite and quaint, a perfect place to finish my homework and have a bite to eat. The atmosphere is peaceful and “hip.”

The menu isn’t overwhelming; there are a small variety of wraps (gluten free), hoagies (1/3, ½, or whole), pitas, nachos and soups. Each wrap, pita and hoagie comes with an immense amount of fresh ingredients including Acoustic’s “special sauce.” The Turkey Gluten Free wrap, with everything on it, and the Rosemary Chicken soup, and then a “Cup of Cheer” upon suggestion, had my name written all over it.

The menu also included a variety of organic coffee and espresso drinks, specialty sodas, beer, ice cream and baked goods and sweets all made fresh daily in the Acoustic Bakery. I couldn’t resist an iced coffee with a splash of caramel flavoring, and it was a perfect match with my homework load and the unusually warm weather. 

While waiting for my soups and wrap to arrive I noticed the local artwork for sale on the walls and pottery pieces set around the café. There were also fliers for local bands that Acoustic would be hosting in the future. This gave me a sense of community; Acoustic makes a strong effort to support local artists.

Gluten Free Turkey Wrap
Normally gluten free food is dry and crumbly, but my wrap was superb. It was wrapped just right and not crumbly at all. All of the ingredients were correctly portioned and the “special sauce” truly is special. The turkey in combination with the guacamole, sprouts, lettuce, and vegetables was perfection. The Rosemary Chicken soup was broth based with a variety of vegetables, it reminded me of chicken noodle with a hold on the noodle. To my dismay, I was disappointed with the soup, I did not get much of the Rosemary flavor, which is what is was looking for in the soup. The Cup of Cheer on the other hand was divine! It is half chili and half beer cheese. It was cheesy, hardy and delicious.

As far as service goes, there really isn’t much. You place your order at the counter and when it is ready the server drops it off at your table and isn’t to be seen again. I didn’t mind this style of service, the point is to get you your food quickly and when you leave they clean and clear the table.

Overall I enjoyed my experience dining at Acoustic Café. My wrap was great and it didn’t take long after my order to receive it nor did my meal cost me much.  I wouldn’t leave Acoustic without ordering a Cup of Cheer.  What I liked most about this café is that there is something for everyone. From vegan and vegetarian to gluten free and gluten lovers to coffee lovers, there is something for everyone.




Acoustic Café – Vegetarian and vegan restaurant-café-sandwich shop
102 W Main Street
Menomonie WI

Hours:            Mon-Fri: 8:00am-9:00pm
                        Sat-Sun: 9:00am-9:00pm
Prices:            Soup: $2.40-$2.90
                        Sandwiches: $3.40-$8.00
                        Pitas: $5.00
                        Nachos: $3.15-$5.15
                        Sweets: $1.50-$1.85

                        Beverages: $1.25-$4.74

2 comments:

  1. Looking pretty good! Worth talking about the "acoustic" side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genre: This article seems to meet the expectations of the genre, but I'm curious to know more about the "acoustic" side of the restaurant.
    Organization: The order is very natural but I think the address, hours and prices could be towards the top.
    Voice: The voice is definitely very casual, I think it's helpful to feel like it was written to you when someone is suggesting food.
    Headings: There are no headings in the review. They might be beneficial.
    Visuals: Pictures are very good. Really brought the place to life!
    First Hand Use: You can definitely tell that Laurisa has eaten here with her accounts of the food and everything.

    ReplyDelete